Tuesday, August 02, 2011

Army Staff Sgt. Kirk Owen

Remember Our Heroes

Army Staff Sgt. Kirk Owen, 37, of Sapulpa, Okla.

SSgt Owen was assigned to 1st Battalion, 279th Infantry Regiment, 45th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, Oklahoma National Guard; died Aug. 2, 2011 in Paktya province, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked his unit with an improvised explosive device.


SSgt Owen, serving as a scout, was leading his men on a mission of mine sweeping. He was in the front passenger seat of a Route Control Package sweeper unit when his unit ran over an IED. Four other Oklahoma Army National Guard soldiers were also injured in the bomb attack.

SSgt Owen deployed to Afghanistan in June. This was his second deployment, having previously been deployed to Iraq in 2007.

Maj. Gen. Myles Deering, Oklahoma adjutant general, "He was an outstanding non-commissioned officer, dedicated to loyally serving his country and fellow soldiers. His loss is being felt across the state and he will be greatly missed."

"This is a very difficult time for the Oklahoma National Guard, but we must persevere," said Deering. "We have lost three very brave men in a short time frame."

Even though he joined the military later in life, friends say Owen felt it was his calling.

Doyle Pryor, Owen's pastor for the last 12 years, says Owen helped out a lot at the First Baptist Church in Sapulpa."He was was one of those guys you really did want to have around. He was a good friend to those who were his friend. He just was a responsible, honorable man," he says.

Pastor Pryor issued a statement on behalf of Owen's family:

"Kirk's family and friends will miss his loving presence, strong faith, as well as his incredible sense of duty and honor. Kirk believed that his position in the military was a God-given calling on his life, and those of us who know him are honored today to be associated with one of the heroes who have put himself in harm's way to ensure the fight does not come here.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with Staff Sgt. Owen's family and friends," said Maj. Gen. Myles Deering, adjutant general for Oklahoma. "He was an outstanding non-commissioned officer, dedicated to loyally serving his Country and fellow Soldiers. His loss is being felt across the State and he will be greatly missed."

Captain Michael Deneen says it's been hard on the group and has some final words to say to his friend. "I love you," he says.

Owen’s family and friends said they will miss his loving presence, strong faith, as well as his incredible sense of duty and honor. Owen believed that his position in the military was a God-given calling on his life, and those who know him are honored.

SSgt Owen’s daughter's entire message about her father:

“My dad was a fantastic leader. ALL of his guys looked up to him. I’m a total daddy’s girl. He always played basketball with me; he always tried to teach me new things about it too. He was also always the loudest person at my games He loved it when we won. It was so funny beacuse he played baseball as a teenager and he didn’t know a whole lot about basketball so he would watch games on tv and come tell me hey Kylie try this– I saw Shaq do it last night. haha. He would give somebody the shirt off his back he was just such a loving person. It was just a huge shock to us because he was just the closest thing I could think of to being a perfect solider. He always wanted to do more. He died doing what he loved. It made him so happy.
As I would say, my dad was a BEAST! haha My nickname for him was Ironman. I bought him a shirt and everything. There was nothing to me that he couldn’t do. Now that he’s gone I just want people to celebrate his life and not be sad about it forever. He wouldn’t want that. He LOVED Jesus with all his heart and that’s where my peace is coming from. I know exactly where he is at. I can just see him up in heaven following Jesus around wanting to know everything. A few weeks before we left we were at the grocery store and my dad and little sister were walking down the marshmallow aisle and he turned to her and said “Kayci I think heaven will smell like marshmallows.” I hope it does. The memory of my dad will live on forever and his good looks will too. Everybody says I got his looks and sarcastic abilities and my sister got his attitude and humor. He was so funny. Always made people smile… Always. Everyone will miss him but we’ll see him again.”


SSgt Owen is survived by a wife, (no name given) and two daughters.

Army Staff Sgt. Kirk Owen was killed in action on 8/02/11.

No comments: