Saturday, September 24, 2011

Marine Lance Cpl. Franklin N. Watson

Remember Our Heroes

Marine Lance Cpl. Franklin N. Watson, 21, of Vonore, Tenn.

LCpl Watson was assigned to 4th Combat Engineer Battalion, 4th Marine Division, Marine Forces Reserve, Knoxville, Tenn.; died Sept. 24, 2011 in Helmand province, Afghanistan, while conducting combat operations.


Lance Cpl Franklin N. Watson dreamed of one day guarding the President of the United States. He believed that his excelling in the Marine Corps would assist him in achieving that goal.

Lcpl Watson graduated from Swquoyah High School in 2008 where he played football. He was employed at the Madisonville Police Department. His law enforcement career began as a part time deputy with the Monroe County Sheriff's Department. He joined the Marines in 2010.

Madison Police Chief Gregg Breeden, "Frankie was too young to die. He had a lot of life to live and a lot of good things to do, but in his time he was just inspirational as far as his attitude and outlook towards life. I think that's somethingthat will carry on."

Sheriff Bill Bivens, "We've got sadness in our heart. We will miss him. Our department will miss him. I've seen a lot of teary eyes and a lot of folks calling me over the weekend. It's just bad, and we hate to see this happen."

Family friend, Lowell Russel said a competitive drive prompted Watson to join the Marines. When Russel asked why he chose the Marine Corps, Watson answered, "I wanted to go through the hardest one I could get in."

Cousin, Miriam Watson wrote the following, which the family asked the news media to print:

It takes a real man to do what you've done. You've not only inspired your friends and family, but the world. You showed them that you're brave enough, to risk your own life, to give us freedom. You were our hero before you left, and you still will be. You mean everything in this world to us, and you'll be missed so much. That great personality of yours, that beautiful smile; everything. You were pretty much my brother! You're truly a great young man, who had a brave heart. You stand out, over so many people in this world, Frankie. You had a wonderful heart, and put it to great use! Some people come into our lives and leave footprints in our hearts and we are never ever the same again. You left footprints in my heart, that will always be there. You're in a much better place that this, and with a man who is gonna make everything better for you. I know you wouldn't wanna see me with tears streaming down my face, so I may cry, but I'm gonna keep smiling because that's what you would want, and I'm gonna do exactly what you would hope for, no matter how sad I am, or how much I cry. Although this is my "goodbye" letter, goodbyes are not forever. Goodbyes are not the end. They simply mean I'll miss you, until we meet again! So, when God is ready for me to see you again, I'll be ready. I love you more than anything in this world, Frankie, and you will be missed!

Lcpl Watson was laid to rest on September 3 at Hiwassee Church of God Cemetery in Madisonville.

He is survived by his mother and step-father, Stacy and Jack; father and step-mother, Troy N., Jr. and Katie Watson; grandparents, Troy N., Sr. and Edith Watson.

Marine Lance Cpl. Franklin N. Watson was killed in action on 9/24/11.

No comments: