Thursday, May 26, 2011

Army Chief Warrant Officer Christopher R. Thibodeau

Remember Our Heroes

Army Chief Warrant Officer Christopher R. Thibodeau, 28, of Chesterland, Ohio

CWO Thibodeau was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 4th Combat Aviation Brigade, Fort Hood, Texas; died May 26, 2011 in Paktika province, Afghanistan, of injuries sustained when his helicopter crashed during combat operations.

Growing up in New Hampshire, CWO Thibodeau is the oldest of three children and had wanted to fly since he was 8, after seeing the Navy’s Blue Angels for the first time. During his senior year, the family moved to Ohio where he graduated from West Geauga High School in 2000. In 2004, he graduated from Case Western Reserve University.

Thibodeau enjoyed sports, spending time with his dogs Nolan and Moony, brewing beer, woodworking, camping and hiking.

At Ft Hood since August 2009, CWO Thibodeau deployed to Aghanistan last summer, shortly after marrying his wife, LeeSandra.

Doreen Thibodeau said her son wanted to serve in the military so that his family would be safe. "He knew the risk. I knew the risk," she said. "He told me that, 'If I die in Afghanistan, I want you to remember that I loved to fly and that you have to promise that under no circumstances that you will be mad. I died doing what I loved to do.' "

From friends:
May 30, 2011 at 09:40 AM To the Family of Chris, I had the distinct pleasure in teaching Chris how to fly the Apache Helicopter for a six month period. Each day I did my very best to instill the attack spirit. Chris was an exceptionally motivated student. He did his very best to understand the complxity of the aircraft and the attack mission. Chris loved flying, he loved life, he loved his country. My heart is broken for this loss. I take comfort in God, and the fact that Chris' efforts in Afganistan saved countless fellow American Soldiers. His dedication to fellow Apache pilots, soldiers, and friends will not go unnoticed. To his family I am deeply sorrowed for your loss, if I can help in anyway please do not hesitate to call, Bryan M.

He met his future wife in Florida and proposed to her in Texas, while they were exploring a cave. He was finally able to take LeeSandra on a honeymoon in Mexico earlier this year, after being deployed for nine and a half months.

Awards and decorations include:

Air Medal
Army Achievement Medal (2)
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Armed Forces Reserve Medal
Non-commissioned Officers Professional Development Ribbon
Army Service Medal

CWO Thibodeau is survived by his wife, LeeSandra; parents Bob and Doreen; sister Nicole and brother Michael.

Army Chief Warrant Officer Christopher R. Thibodeau was killed in action on 5/26/11.

No comments: