Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Air Force Maj. Raymond G. Estelle II

Remember Our Heroes

Air Force Maj. Raymond G. Estelle II, 40, of New Haven, Conn.

Maj Estelle was assigned to Headquarters Air Combat Command, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Va.; died April 27, 2011 in Kabul, Afghanistan, of wounds sustained from gunfire from an Afghan military trainee.

Major Estelle bade farewell to his family on Easter and arrived in Afghanistan the day before he was killed. He was a 20-year veteran of the service looking forward to his upcoming retirement.

Estelle started his career at MacDill as a communications officer with the 6th Communications Squadron, where he was stationed from February 1999 to January 2001. Major Estelle worked as a cyberspace operations officer assigned to Air Combat Command headquarters, Joint Base Langley-Eustis, Virginia. He was assigned to Air Combat Command headquarters.

Estelle and his wife, N'Kebia, also an Air Force Major, were planning to transfer to MacDill where they married 10 years ago. May 12 was to be their 10th wedding anniversary.

"He was a hero," his mother, Regina said. "He loved the military. "He loved what he was doing. He went in as an enlisted man and decided to become an officer."

"His wish was to be buried in Bushnell cemetery," she said. "He loved Florida."

In his home state of Connecticut, Gov. Dannel Malloy ordered that flags be flown at half staff in Major Estelle's memory, and released this statement:
"Connecticut has lost another brave and honorable service member, and our thoughts and prayers go out to the family and friends of Major Estelle," the governor said in a statement. "We are also thinking of those in Major Estelle's unit, and all of our men and women in uniform serving this country at this difficult time. We wish them all a safe and speedy return home to their families."

From friends:

Big Ray, My brother, My friend: I will forever miss you, but know I will see you again. You were a leader among leaders. The hole in my heart will never heal. You were always there, with words and scripture. You taught me to fly and earn my wings. The four Amigo's, you, me, Cliff and John. Fly high my friend..I will see you again. Till then watch over us, guide us and help us as you did when you were here. ~Rob (Diesel) Carreiro

Raymond I will truly miss you, our little crew had many a good times. I will mostly miss our long talks about our futures and our goals and the encouragement you always gave. I will always carry you in my heart, and my deepest sympathy goes out to your family. May fond memories of you and your wonderful smile bring them great joy through their sadness and help ease the pain enough to make it to the next day. That's what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna remember your smile and the goodtimes. Love Always, Ant.~ Antoinette Walker


Major Estelle is survived by his wife, N'Kebia, 9 yr old daughter and son; parents Regina and Ray.

Air Force Maj. Raymond G. Estelle II was killed in action on 4/27/11.

No comments: