Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Army Staff Sgt. Bryant W. Mackey

Remember Our Heroes

Army Staff Sgt. Bryant W. Mackey, 30, of Eureka, Kan.

SSgt. Mackey was assigned to the 3rd Squadron, 3rd Armored Cavalry Regiment, Fort Hood, Texas; died Feb. 20, 2008 in Mosul, Iraq, of wounds sustained when a rocket-propelled grenade struck his vehicle.

KWCH -- Another Kansas soldier has died in Iraq. The Pentagon says 30-year-old Staff Sgt. Bryant Mackey died after a rocket-propelled grenade struck his vehicle.

People close to Mackey say he was funny, a team-player who was dedicated to both his family and his country. They say he was well aware of the dangers of war but was proud to be a soldier.

Waylon Stitt and Kelly Ebberts both graduated with Mackey from Hamilton High School in 1996. SSgt. Mackey joined the U.S. Army just before September 11th and was on his second tour of duty in Iraq. The first time he was injured by gunfire, but his friends say that wasn't about to scare him away from serving his country.

"We graduated with 17 people in our class," says Stitts. "It was the biggest class in 28 years, and with a class so small you can just imagine how big our hearts were for each other."

Ebberts says, "When you hear about it happening on TV and then it's someone that you know, went to school with, palled around with, that's when it hits your heart."

SSgt. Mackey leaves behind a wife and three small children who have been living in the Hamilton area during his second tour in Iraq.

Army Staff Sgt. Bryant W. Mackey was killed in action on 2/20/08.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry about your loss. I have three family members in Iraq. one was reported missing not to long ago. My friend lost her father in Baghadad. My prayers and thoughts are with you and other members of his family...~M.

Anonymous said...

I can only say my last words to you now. When I arrived to 16th cav a new SSG you were the first to step forward and welcome me, you were the first to ask if anything needed to be done. Although I never had told you my friend you were the best Sgt a section leader could ask for you were everything the Army tries to teach every soldier. Your leadership was always fair, Your duty was nothing but top notch, your respect was always given first, you were always selfless, your honor was true, integrity was unquestionable, your personal courage will always remain in my heart. I want to thank your family for letting us have the greatest SGT that had ever served under me. You were a true soldier it is in your blood you knew nothing more than how to train, lead and defend. It because people like you that we all look up to and try to strive to be better people. Thank you so much for everything you ever did SSG Mackey. I hope you got that arcom before aam thing squared away wait that was you fixing SGT Gary up again lol. I will miss you dearly my friend. Hold a place for me in the ranks of heaven. -SSG Kelly

Anonymous said...

Bryant was my brother and there is only one thing wrong with this. He left behind 3 kids 2 boys and a lil girl. Thanks Monica Mackey