Thursday, April 08, 2010

Army Pfc. Jonathon D. Hall

Remember Our Heroes

Army Pfc. Jonathon D. Hall, 23, of Chattanooga, Tenn.

Pfc Hall was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault), Fort Campbell, Ky.; died April 8, 2010 at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, Germany, of wounds sustained when enemy forces attacked his vehicle with an improvised explosive device at Contingency Outpost Khayr-Kot-Castle, Afghanistan.

Jonathan David Hall was so intent on serving his country as a medic that he enlisted the help of his East Brainerd grandfather, a 40-year military veteran, to get into an elite Tennessee National Guard "active first" program.

For seven months, Pfc. Hall, who grew up in Anchorage, Alaska, lived with his grandparents, Jan and Don Priddy. With Mr. Priddy's help, he prepared for his enlistment, military testing and eventual acceptance as a medic. On Valentine's Day he was deployed to Afghanistan with the U.S. Army's 3rd of 187th Infantry Battalion, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, stationed at Fort Campbell, Ky.

Pfc. Hall, 23, was fatally injured April 8 when an improvised explosive device blasted his vehicle.

His grandparents and family will lay him to rest Monday in Chattanooga National Cemetery.

"He loved Chattanooga," said his grandmother Wednesday, struggling not to cry.

Tennessee Army National Guard Capt. Jim Ridings helped Mr. Priddy get Pfc. Hall in uniform, signing him up first in the Tennessee National Guard. Recruits commit to 36 months of full-time Army service, then they can opt to return to the Guard or re-enlist in the Army.

"Very few qualify for the 'active first' program because it has a higher standard," Capt. Ridings said. "He was dedicated to becoming the best he could be ... and his focus was to help other people, whether that meant treating blisters on their feet or patching up open wounds."

Mr. Priddy said he often worked with his grandson to help prepare him for the Army and for combat.

Pfc. Hall loved the service and talked about making the military a career, his grandfather said.

"Even on this patrol, he volunteered to go because he wanted to be with his men. As it turned out, he was the one who did not survive the attack," Mr. Priddy said.

Life support was removed April 11, 2010, upon request of the family for vital organ removal. Pfc. Hall had signed an organ donor form, and his organs were given to six people. Pfc. Hall now lives through six young German men who are the recipients of his heart, lungs, a kidney and pancreas, the other kidney, with two sharing his liver.

In addition, a number of individuals benefited from miscellaneous blood vessels, tendons, and ligaments."

"He gave life even in his death," Mr. Priddy said.

From PFC Hall's obituary:

He grew up in Anchorage, Alaska, and attended Northwest High School for one year. He was a combat medic assigned to Alpha Company, 3rd Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment Rakkasan, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assualt). He was awarded the following medals: Bronze Star Medal (posthumous), Purple Heart Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal, Army Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal with Bronze Service Star, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon, NATO Medal, Combat Medal Badge, Weapons Qualification Badge Rife Expert, and Overseas Service Bar.

Survivors include his father, Lt. Col. Steven D. Hall, Anchorage, Alaska; his mother, Robynn K. Harrison, Rocky Face, Ga.; sister, Tristyn E. Hall, Ashland City, Tenn.; paternal grandparents, Mary and Hugh Hall, of Woodlawn; paternal great-grandmother, Ruby Johnson, Indian Mound, Tenn.; and maternal grandparents, retired CW5 Don and Jan Priddy, Chattanooga.

Army Pfc. Jonathon D. Hall was killed in action on 4/8/10.

No comments: