Sunday, February 21, 2010

Army Sgt. Marcos Gorra

Remember Our Heroes

Army Sgt. Marcos Gorra, 22, of North Bergen, N.J.

Sgt. Gorra was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 82nd Combat Aviation Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, N.C.; died Feb. 21, 2010 at Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, of wounds sustained while supporting combat operations.

Military spokesman Major Brian J. Fickel would not divulge exact details of the incident, but members of Gorra's family fold reporters from the Record of Bergen County that the army says he was killed during a training exercise at Kandahar Air Base.

"Sgt. Gorra's military service is a tribute to his commitment, selflessness, and professionalism," said Lt. Col. Mike Morgan, Task Force Saber commander in a statement.

At the North Bergen Board of Education’s Feb. 24 Meeting, Mayor and Assistant Superintendent Nicholas Sacco announced that a 2006 North Bergen High School alumnus, Marcos Gorra, was killed while serving in Afghanistan.

Sacco said it was a “horrifying situation.” Superintendent Robert Dandorph said that Garro was due to come home next month. The district was notified this past Monday through Garro’s girlfriend, whose father works for the Board of Education. “He really was an amazing kid,” said Dandorph. “He was sweet, smart.”

Gorra was born in Santiago, Cuba, and is the eldest of three siblings, according to his MySpace page, which includes a running countdown of his time left in the army, in addition to this statement: "Born in Santiago de Cuba, Cuba on Sunday Feb 7, 1988. I'm the oldest of 3 children, my family is by far the most important thing in my life, my reason for living. I've been an infantryman in the Army since August 2006, something I sometimes do regret because I've missed out on 2 yrs of being with my loved ones. I'd love to thank my family and two good friends for being there for me when everyone else fucks me over, you guys are always there. Recently got out of a relationship, the only one where I actually cared about, unfortunately for me I'm getting ready to deploy, and ummmm yea guess some women don't love enough to wait. Any questions hit me up .."

Miguel Campos wrote this on his MySpace page:
"we were supposed to go back home and chill marcos! WTF! why man! I was gonna show you times square man and we were gunna hit up union city when we both got back,fuck gorra why did this happen!!I couldn't even say good-bye and I wish I could have talk to you more the last day we saw each other in kandahar. im sry. im so sry bud.I will never forget you.I will always remember you always"

Gorra joined the Army in August 2006. He completed unit training at Fort Benning, Ga., and deployed to Afghanistan for the first time in April 2009.

“Sgt. Gorra was a great soldier, and noncommissioned officer who would get the job done right the first time, every time,” said First Sergeaant Bruce Julius.

Gorra’s awards and decorations include the Army Achievement Medal, the Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Korea Defense Service Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, the Army Service Ribbon, the Overseas Service Ribbon, the NATO medal, the Combat Infantry Badge, the Parachute Badge and the Air Assault Badge.

He is survived by his parents, Gricel and Marcos Gorra, a brother and a sister, all of North Bergen.

Army Sgt. Marcos Gorra was killed in action on 2/21/10.

No comments: