Friday, December 11, 2009

Army Pfc. Jaiciae L. Pauley

Remember Our Heroes

Army Pfc. Jaiciae L. Pauley, 29, of Austell, Ga.

Pfc. Pauley was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 30th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Stewart, Ga.; died Dec. 11, 2009 in Kirkuk, Iraq, of injuries sustained from a non-combat-related incident.

Muncie Star Press -- A man who moved to Muncie two years ago to be closer to his family has now lost his only son in the Iraq War.

Pfc. Jaiciae L. Pauley, 29, of Austell, Ga., son of Muncie residents Roger and Teressa Pauley, died Dec. 11 in Kirkuk, Iraq, as a result of a "non-combat related incident," according to a military press release.

The death is still being investigated by the U.S. Army, but for Roger Pauley, the manner of his son's death isn't important.

"It bothers me (knowing the death is still being investigated), but whether it's a suicide or an accidental discharge of a gun, my son is still gone," the elder Pauley said. "He was a typical man in his 20s and he was my best friend who I could talk to about anything."

Jaiciae Pauley enlisted in the Army during the summer of 2008, after his father and stepmother moved from the Atlanta metropolitan area to Muncie. The family had begun to struggle financially, prompting the Pauleys to choose to live with family in Indiana.

Roger's mother, Floffie, and stepfather, Marshall Bias, have lived in Muncie for the past 23 years. The couple, who have been married for 53 years, welcomed their son into their new home with open arms, although they were sad that their grandson opted to stay behind in Atlanta.

And although the family was supportive of Jaiciae's decision to enlist in the Army, they were concerned about the dangers of combat, wondering whether they would see their loved one again.

"I was a protective parent," Roger said. "I personally didn't want him to go, because I was worried about the outcome. But I was supportive."

Family members miss the man they knew as loyal and fun, a man who enjoyed having philosophical discussions and who was always there to help family and friends.

Nothing will bring Jaiciae back, but memories of him will go on forever.

"I was pretty hurt when I heard Jaiciae died," said his stepgrandfather, Bias. "This is the second family member I've lost in this stupid war. And we'll all miss him. I know his dad will really miss him."

Army Pfc. Jaiciae L. Pauley was killed in a non-combat related incident on 12/11/09.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Has anything been resolved yet? My name is Faith Sumpter and was in AIT with Pauly. When I heard he had passed away, I was shocked. My prayers go out to the family.