Monday, August 20, 2007

Army Spc. George V. Libby

Remember Our Heroes

Army Spc. George V. Libby, 23, of Aberdeen, N.C.

Spc. Libby died Aug. 20, 2007 near Khowst, Afghanistan, of injuries sustained in a non-combat-related incident. He was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, Fort Lewis, Wash.

Army Ranger from N.C. dies in Afghanistan
The Associated Press

ABERDEEN, N.C. — An Army Ranger from Aberdeen has died in Afghanistan of non-combat-related injuries, the military said.

Spc. George V. Libby, 23, died Aug. 20 near Khowst. The Army said his death is being investigated.

Libby, a Pine Crest High School graduate, was an automatic rifleman assigned to 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, at Fort Lewis, Wash. This was his second deployment.

“George joined the Army because of Sept. 11,” his wife, Valorie Avent Libby, said in a statement released by the Army. “He believed in this mission, and I believed in him. My husband was a good and loving person.”

Libby was assigned to the 75th Ranger Regiment after he completed Ranger Indoctrination Program training at Fort Benning, Ga., in September 2005.

His wife lives in Tacoma, Wash. Libby also is survived by his mother, Nell E. Allen, and brother, Ira Allen Libby, who live in Aberdeen. His father, Thomas M. Libby Jr., also lives in North Carolina.

Army Spc. George V. Libby died of a non-combat related incident on 8/20/07

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

George was a good guy. I attended school with George my whole life. George and I had good times together. I also attended Sandhills Community College with George and never knew he was in the Army. In essence, George is a great guy and will be greatly missed. I send my condolences to his family and god bless you. Sorry, I'm late George,but I just found out. Wish I could have you draw me one more picture of Mr. Swann. Love you man Always. Travis Bethea.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking for what the V. in his middle name stands for.George was a great friend for me in the military,I'm having a baby boy I'm trying 2 honor George by giving my son's middle name Georges middle name,all help will be greatly appreciated my email is donathondelcampo@yahoo.com thankyou