Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Navy Chief Petty Officer Delfin Dulay

Remember Our Heroes

Cable sailor succumbs to injuries
By Steve Limtiaco
Pacific Daily News

A second sailor from the USS Frank Cable died of injuries he sustained during an accident on the ship last December.

Chief Petty Officer Delfin Dulay, 42, a machinist's mate on the Guam-based submarine tender, died May 1, 2007 at Brooke Army Medical Center, in San Antonio, Texas, said Cmdr. Mike Brown, public affairs officer for Submarine Forces, U.S. Pacific Fleet.

Eight sailors were injured during the Dec. 1, 2006, accident at Polaris Point, in which pressurized steam scalded them. Six of the sailors were hospitalized.

Machinery Repairman Fireman Jack B. Valentine, 20, died Dec. 8 as a result of his injuries, one sailor was released from the hospital four days after the accident, and four were hospitalized at the Texas medical center.

According to Pacific Daily News files, a major steam leak happened inside the "firebox" of the ship's No. 1 boiler. An exhaust plenum on the outside of the firebox ruptured, sending pressurized steam into the Fire Room.

Sailors at the time of the accident had been conducting routine maintenance on steam safety valves in the boiler room.

The ship earlier in the day had been on a family day cruise.

Brown said Dulay was the only sailor still hospitalized as a result of the accident. The remaining sailors had been released from the medical center's burn unit and were being treated on an outpatient basis, he said.

A Shipmate is Rememberered
By MC1 Kim deJong

Friends, family, and fellow shipmates from the USS Frank Cable (AS 40) gathered May 5 for a memorial service for Chief Machinist Mate (SW) Delfin Dulay.

Dulay passed away on May 1 at Brooke Army Medical Center (BAMC) in San Antonio, Texas, from injures he sustained during a steam leak aboard Frank Cable on Dec. 1, 2006.

During the memorial service, held in U.S. Naval Base Guam Chapel, Machinist Mate Curtis Rasmussen offered the eulogy and spoke fondly of Dulay. Rasmussen recalled his time with Dulay not only on the Frank Cable, but of their time together on board USS Dubuque (LPD-8).

Lt. Anthony Pecoraro read The Snipes’ Lament and SKCS Bradley Martin recited the United States Navy Chief Petty Officer Creed. Both readings were symbolic of Dulay’s time in the U.S. Navy.

“It was a very moving service to honor a true shipmate,” said Navy Counselor 1st Class (AW) Aubrey Stalling.

Following the service inside the chapel the entire group stepped outside to honor Dulay in traditional military fashion. Command Master Chief Mark Fiorey presented the U.S. Flag to Cdr. Steven Cole, Executive Officer, USS Frank Cable (AS 40). Cole accepted the flag on behalf the Dulay family and the flag will be presented to the family at the funeral.

After the presentation of the flag a 21 gun salute was rendered, followed by the playing of Taps. As a final honor, the chief was piped ashore as the entire group presented one final salute to Dulay.

“He was one brave man and will be missed,” said PSSN Jheruel Lumbang.

Chief Petty Officer Delfin Dulay died on 5/1/07.

No comments: