Monday, May 28, 2007

Army Sgt. Anthony D. Ewing

Remember Our Heroes

Army Sgt. Anthony D. Ewing, 22, of Phoenix, AZ

Sgt. Ewing was assigned to the 6th Squadron, 9th Cavalry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, Fort Hood, Texas; died May 28, 2007 in Abu Sayda, Iraq, of wounds sustained when their vehicle was struck by an improvised explosive device. Also killed were1st Lt. Kile G. West, Cpl. Zachary D. Baker, Cpl. James E. Summers and Spc. Alexandre A. Alexeev.

Arizona Republic -- Anthony D. Ewing said all he wanted to do was "go home and relax."

Described as "optimistic" by his friends and himself, the 22-year-old had promised that "I'll come home soon damnit!" according to a post on his MySpace profile.

But the army sergeant won't return to the United States the way friends and family had hoped.

Ewing was one of five soldiers killed on Memorial Day in Abu Savda, Iraq, when a bomb struck their vehicle, according to the U.S. Department of Defense.

Ewing, who was on his second tour in Iraq, according to friends, was supposed to return to the United States soon, but his tour had been extended another 90 days.

Ewing and four other soldiers in the 1st Cavalry Division, stationed at Fort Hood, Texas, were killed in the vehicle explosion.

Ewing was a 2003 graduate of Westview High School in Avondale.

His father still lives in the Valley, and his mother lives in Texas.

"He was always an outgoing, optimistic person," said Ashley Logan, who has known Ewing since fifth grade.

The pair went to Sundance Elementary School in Peoria.

"He always made people smile no matter what," Logan said.

Ewing had planed to start college in February, she said.

Army Sgt. Anthony D. Ewing was killed in action on 5/28/07.

1 comment:

Pamela Brown said...

Today would have been Anthony's
3rd Christmas with us. The last time Anthony was with us, was in December 2006. I took Anthony to the DFW Airport to fulfill his 2nd tour in Iraq. I did not realize that it was the last time; I got to hug and wrapped my arms around my son. It was such a sad day when I left the Airport. As soon as I got to my office, I got a message from him stating “Mom, I just want to say I love you, one more time. I will let you know as soon as I arrive to my base. Again, I love and miss you".

That message is what keeps me going. How I got to give my son a hugged and say my final goodbye. How I missed him so much. My heart goes to all the parents who lost their children just like I did.

PBrown-Mother KIA (SGT Anthony D. Ewing) 6-9 Saber